partner and I spent nearly three weeks carefully removing soil,
rocks, stones and other debris in search of evidence. Along the
way we uncovered a portion of an iron gear that could have been
used on a waterwheel as well as several iron bands that are similar
to those that would have been used to surround the blowing tubs
that are central to how a blowing engine operates.
the boring mill, other students worked in a similar manner to uncover
various structural components of the building as well as a number
of hand tools and metal shaving waste from a lathe or boring operation.
I move into the remaining two weeks of my field school experience
I found myself getting anxious to excavate additional areas and
improve my archaeological skills.
this week I was assigned to an area adjacent to a machine pad in
the boring mill. After only one day in this new area, it's clear
that I still have a lot to learn and that the variety of experiences
available at this site will be invaluable in helping me continue
to build my archaeological toolkit.